6.22.2010

Being Involved



I listened to this because I am from Southern Michigan; born at University of Michigan hospital.

What I found by listening for 32 minutes was I learned a little about me....that I live the life of a man who vies against what he sees around him to step into being involved; by participating.

I am involved by: homeschooling my girls; supporting my wife in her dreams and her efforts to homeschool our girls; breathing, supporting, and living a life of no excuses; writing this blog; listening to men in my IGroup who have differing views, hearing them, and being with that without judgment; doing radio talks on the ManKind Project and the New Warrior Training Adventure; staffing and being a part of my Northern California MKP community.

I wonder where you participate and where you "stand" when "standing" is all there is?

I wonder when it became OK to be not nice and not civil and not respectful?

Thank you, Creator, for pointing me to this video on this day and time....I needed it.

Do you need it?

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf


"The point is, when we don't pay close attention to the decisions made by our leaders; when we fail to educate ourselves about the major issues of the day; when we choose not to make our voices and opinions heard, that's when democracy breaks down. That's when power is abused. That's when the most extreme voices in our society fill the void that we leave. That's when powerful interests and their lobbyists are most able to buy access and influence in the corridors of Washington - because none of us are there to speak up and stop them.

Participation in public life doesn't mean that you all have to run for public office - though we could certainly use some fresh faces in Washington. But it does mean that you should pay attention and contribute in any way that you can. Stay informed. Write letters, or make phone calls on behalf of an issue you care about. If electoral politics isn't your thing, continue the tradition so many of you started here at Michigan and find a way to serve your community and your country - an act that will help you stay connected to your fellow citizens and improve the lives of those around you."

President Barack Obama, May 1, 2010 at the Big House, University of Michigan Commencement

No comments:

Post a Comment