5.16.2008

He Saw His Days Burn Up

"He wanted love
With no involvement
So he chased the wind
That's all his silly life required
And the days of vanity
Went on forever
And he saw his days burn up
Like paper in fire"

John Mellencamp; from Paper in Fire off The Lonesome Jubilee (1987)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In this blog I ask you "are you the man you thought you would become."

What does that mean to me? Well, it means that there must have been a time when you had dreams of being someone or something. Maybe a great father, an renowned explorer, a preacher, a tycoon, maybe the president. Nobody dreams of being a homeless man or a drug addict or an alcoholic. Did you dream big dreams?

I did...and I let many of them go...like paper in fire.

I had to let go of being a Formula 1 driver. That was a tough one.

I had to let go of being the brother to my brother that I wanted to be. I couldn't do that dance alone.

I watched many dreams be just that, dreams. I didn't know where to go to nurture them.

Am I the man I thought I would become? Yes and no. I am more in many ways. I am more of a father and friend than I ever thought or imagined. I am a mentor to many and that never crossed my mind.

In my ManKind Project work, I stretch past my perceived limitations to find new dreams. I went back a couple years ago and tried karting to see if there was anything there for me. I tried to patch the wounds of my brother.

It's a journey...that's all. I invite you to take it with me. I wonder what kind of man you thought you would become.


I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment