10.03.2007

Stretching and Yoga

In ManKind Project iGroups, men are encouraged to make stretches.

A stretch is a place or thing I have wanted to go, but something has held me back. Usually my unfounded fear! The beauty of the stretch process is that it makes no difference if I make the stretch or not. What matters is what it was like to try and what I experienced in making it or not. There is no shame in not making a stretch; just the chance to look at what came up and why.

So, a while back I was getting ready to attend an ManKind Project gathering/celebration of the 10th anniversary of the first Northern California New Warrior Training Adventure. I have wanted to try yoga for many years but my fear of doing it "right" and looking ridiculous stood in my way.

I made a stretch in my iGroup to attend the Saturday morning yoga class taught by another ManKind Project man. My fear was up pretty high when I made the stretch but subsided quite a bit just stepping into the idea of doing it.

To make a long story short, I went to that class and the one the next morning (taught by a different ManKind Project man). I really enjoyed it. There was still some fear around doing it right and I was not able to do it like some of the men who do it all the time. But I stayed with it and really got a lot out if it.

Now, I am looking at adding yoga to my day. Maybe in the morning with my six-year-old girl and my fourteen month old girl.

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment