8.01.2007

Shark Warrior Speaks

A man's experience in the New Warrior Training Adventure is a beautiful thing. I hear over and over again how it was transformational, enlightening, powerful, life changing, etc.

This post is from a man who took completed his NWTA just a few weeks ago. I asked him if he would write a piece about his experience, so here it is unedited.

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I was doing a lot of reading about our current society contrasted with older so-called "primitive" societies in regards to rites of initiation. These other cultures had a very ritualized and sacred process that clearly delineated boyhood from manhood.

It is clear to me that our world today is full of boy-men, chronologcally aged men with the mindset of boys. How was that I could recognize this so easily? Let me just say that there is a saying in this community, "You spot, you got it."

When it came down to it, I really had no idea what it meant to be a man? Think about that for a while. What does it mean to be a man? Is there a certain age that you reach where you are deemed a man. Do you have to have children and be a father? Steady job? Owning a house? When I asked myself that question, I could not answer it. The more I thought about it, the more distressed I became. Was I still a boy trapped in a man's body? Although, I was 33 years old, I still felt confused and like I was missing something.

Serendipitously, I stumbled upon the Mankind Project and the New Warrior Training Adventure. I was reading something on the computer and there was a reference to TMP. The name intrigued me and I googled it. That was exactly what I was looking for. I called the contact man and when he described the weekend and the work, I knew that it was exactly what I needed.

I can honestly say that the weekend was one of the best and most profound experiences of my life. It was completely transformational. It is one thing to read about these concepts and understand them intellectually, it is quite a different thing to actually experience them by taking a hard look at yourself on the journey to manhood.

Shark Warrior

No comments:

Post a Comment