10.27.2011

Active Men

Having a blog, I allow comments to be added. However, I don't allow them to be posted freely, but rather, I moderate them. There are a lot of reasons for this but the biggest is that this is my blog and I get to choose what gets posted.

I have a message to get across to you and that is that the ManKind Project and the New Warrior Training Adventure are worthwhile male endeavors that create a better man and therefore a better world. If a comment is posted that I feel doesn't stay on topic, then I get to delete it. I try to post all comments, but occasionally someone decides to anonymously post a bunch of garbage that is either off topic or some kind of slam to what I am trying to accomplish here.

Recently, I got four such e-mails that were counter-productive to my message and they were anonymous. Rather than just blow them off I feel compelled to do them some justice as at least one had a thought worth addressing.

I state that over 40,000 men have taken the New Warrior Training Adventure weekend. That number climbs every weekend and if I had way to add a ticker to the exact count I would. The commenter stated to me that 40,000 men were not active in ManKind Project and that some other number was. Their number was ridiculously low and not worth even stating. However, it is worth looking at how many men are "active" in ManKind Project.

In my opinion...every single man is. The ManKind Project changes men's lives just by attending the New Warrior Training Adventure. Some men choose to not "actively" participate in the ManKind Project after the New Warrior Training Adventure, but from my seat that is moot. Men are changed by the training weekend. Whether they continue to sit in an iGroup, or continue to attend other ManKind Project trainings and events, or not, is not important. These men have walked through a weekend they will never forget. It's that simple.

I do not have a number for how many men stay active in the ManKind Project after the New Warrior Training Adventure. I have no way to decide what active is except as I stated above.

I tell you this. The training is strong, challenging, and worth it.

To the commenter that sent me four anonymous comments last week, I will continue to post only what stays on topic and much of what you wrote (much of which I could not decipher the context or grammar) was not on topic.

I'm out.
Bravehearted Old-faithful Wolf

1 comment:

  1. Rory Bowman9/12/2007

    I'm certainly not an expert on this, but I seem to have seen someone's graduate paper on this which had tracked participation in MKP over several years. My recollection was that at the time only about half of folks who completed NWTA went on to an I-Group and of those who joined an I-Group about half were inactive after two years, which is apparently the right decision for those men.

    I think that the 40,000 number for NWTA attendees is largely irrelevant, except to show that MKP has been around for a while and continues to be around. Not everyone who attends college will become a life-long learner, while for others "once a Marine, always a Marine," you know?

    Presumably men attend NWTA because they are looking for something. They may leave if they find it or if they do not. I wouldn't worry too much about the number, except to wish them well and hope that they got at least some of what they were looking for, something that helps them to be better men.

    ReplyDelete