5.03.2007

Reuters News and Their Choices

When I went through my New Warrior Training Adventure, back in October 1999, my life changed dramatically. One of the changes was that I learned to fearlessly speak my piece when it was time to. This is one of those times. I don't very often comment on the outside world (mostly I keep it about me), but today I need to step up for something that just makes no sense to me.

An article was posted today on Reuters.com about a South African man who was kidnapped at gunpoint, forced to take the perpetrators to his home, was stripped of his clothes and super-glued to the seat of an exercise bicycle (along with his hands, feet, and mouth!) while his house was robbed. The man remained on the bike for three hours until help came!

Now, this saddens me to no end. Why do men torture and terrorize each other like this; to anyone?

What really got me though is the incredible insensitivity and shamelessness of Reuters' choice to use a photo to accompany the news piece that shows dozens of naked bicyclists cycling in Madrid.

Are you kidding me here? Can Reuters step any further into the abyss of poor choices. Reuters makes the case for truly lacking any clear vision of compassion and respectful journalism being the norm these days. Somewhere at Reuters a person sat and thought that that picture was the right one to go with this painful story.

I have tried to find a way to contact Reuters, but that is proving difficult. I will keep trying. I found the form to send my comment.

In the meantime, what do you say you step up when you need to.

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment