4.19.2007

Again

I say the following with sadness in my voice; anger; tears welling in my heart and eyes; I say the words slowly, quietly, and drawn out:

So here we are again; another young man goes berserk and shoots up whatever he can.

Again
Again
Again

When will we learn that teaching our children to belittle, hate, beat up, pick on, and abuse in any way another person is not acceptable. Of course we will have to stop showing them that it is alright to do it when we are adults, won't we?

I do not see blame here; only another chance to correct what can be corrected.

It is time to reconsider teaching our children that it is alright to make up reasons to go to war; that it is alright to swear at someone for cutting us off in traffic; that it is alright to laugh at another's misfortune; that we need guns to solve problems; that we need to fear another because they are different; that most everything is made into a competition; that we need to create media that teaches fear, anger, hate, violence, self doubt, and horror.

It is time to stand up for being fair and understanding; for walking in another's shoes; for listening to the words unspoken; to hear the pain of another and not shy away.

The time is now.

Make the change now, before it is too late.

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I found your post quite by accident, and I'm glad I did. You inspired a post on my blog, a revisit to an old rant of mine that found new voice again.

    With regard to VA Tech and Columbine, etc., all of us mothers and fathers have a vital responsibility for acknowledging feelings starting when our sons are wee babes.

    Rather than repost here, here's the link to my post. Please feel free to delete this comment if the invitation is unwelcome.

    http://intrinsiclifedesign.squarespace.com/scaffolding/2007/4/24/imagine-being-two-years-old.html

    ReplyDelete