3.08.2005

Dr. SETI's New Warrior Page

Dr. H. Paul Shuch's experience on the NWTA.

I'm out.
Old-faithful Wolf

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Like many men of the Alan Alda generation, I was an early feminist and ardent supporter of women's causes, who endeavored to nurture my own feminine side. I prided myself in becoming more compassionate, soft, caring and giving, and inevitably lost something of my own masculinity along the way. I had become what psychologist, author and lecturer Terrance Real (seen at left, addressing a men's retreat) calls a SNAG (Sensitive New-Age Guy). My wife said that if my feminine side were any more fully developed, I'd lactate.

In a sense that was good; I had excised the violent and aggressive instincts which I believed responsible for the worst our society has to offer. But something positive was missing as well: the drive to use my own masculine power for the good of the community. I, who had once worked alongside Martin Luther King, ridden the freedom buses to Montgomery and marched on Washington, who had fought a war in the far east and raced sports cars to glory, was becoming passive. In middle age I discovered I was no longer a doer, but a watcher.

I first became aware of the Men's Movement through Bill Moyers' 1989 PBS special 'A Gathering of Men.' That program emphasized the poetry of Robert Bly (seen here at a recent Men's Gathering), the mythopoetic literature of Joseph Campbell, Grimm's Iron John fairy tale and the exuberance of Native American drumming and dance. And the men's movement is indeed these, but far more. I learned how much more by surviving the New Warrior Training Adventure.

MORE>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment